During this past week of August 16, we continued erecting structural steel girders for the new westbound bridge. Twenty-four (24) of the forty-two (42) girders have been placed. This includes splicing of girder sections together and placement of cross frames that tie the girders to each other. We also continued grading and placing stone slope protection in front of Abutment 1 (the western abutment).
During the week of August 23, the following work is anticipated:
- Steel delivery and erection will continue;
- Slope work will begin at Abutment 2 (the eastern abutment);
- Trough wall slab at the finger joint of Abutment 1 will be formed and poured.
Please note that the navigable channel will be closed to marine traffic from Tuesday, September 7 through Friday, September 10 and from Monday, September 13 through Friday, September 17 for erection of structural steel over the channel for the safety of the boating public.
- The channel will be open during the weekend of September 11-12.
- Additional signing will be installed prior to the closure. If the steel erection is complete prior to September 17, the channel will be re-opened at that time and notification provided.